Monday, November 1, 2010

All Souls

Aloha. . . .


The Morning After. . .


The very stones & soil of Hawaii are animated with spirit.


"The lawn
Is pressed by unseen feet, and ghosts return
Gently at twilight, gently go at dawn,
The sad intangible who grieve and yearn...."
T.S. ELIOT, To Walter de la Mare









We look like a modern city. . . .









But vestiges of the past remain silent sentinel.



"Now it is the time of night
That the graves, all gaping wide,
Every one lets forth his sprite
In the church-way paths to glide."
WILLIAM SHAKESPEARE,
 A Midsummer Night's Dream





No one wants to leave Hawaii - 
so they stick around.



"In culture after culture,
 people believe that the soul lives on after death,
 that rituals can change the physical world and divine the truth, 
 and that illness and misfortune are caused and alleviated by spirits,
 ghosts, saints ...
 and gods."


STEVEN PINKER, How the Mind Works













"The first thing you will hear is drums in the distance, then you will smell a foul and musky odor, and you will hear a conch shell being blown, for fair warning to get out of the way, and you will see torches getting brighter and brighter as they get closer. Your best chance is to have an ancestor that recognizes you, they will call out,"Na'u!" which means mine. If you are in the night marchers' bloodline no one in the procession can harm you. No matter what you build in their path they go straight through it. The night marchers are the vanguard for a sacred chief or chiefess who unusually have a high station in life."
 - Po Kane. Haunted Hawaiian Nights,
 by Lopaka Kapanu



        Thanks for YOUR visit! cloudia

34 comments:

Friko said...

Why Portuguese sausages?
Spooky.

Aloha, Cloudia.

Charles Gramlich said...

I've been on the ghost tour in New Orleans.

Myrna R. said...

Okay, so I still want to visit Hawaii some day - just not on Halloween. Too much mystery.

Cloudia said...

Why indeed, Friko!

Thanks, Charles, Myrna

HulaBuns said...

I love ghost tours! Also, love the pictures of the modern city in comparison to the older pictures of the city. :)

Hilary said...

Sounds like good, scary fun!

Teresa said...

I loved your pictures!

Cloudia said...

You make my DAY!

LifeRamblings said...

i'd love to visit Hawaii.

SandyCarlson said...

I wonder sometime if we invented teh soul or the soul invented us or if what we miss is that we are suol. Beautiful post.

Cloudia said...

Little gems you bring!

Marguerite said...

Love that Shakespeare quote! My daughter played the lead role in Mid Summer Night's Dream in college. Scary clip! Aloha, cher!

黄清华 Wong Ching Wah said...

Always wonderful to read through your posting ! Thank you.

magiceye said...

!!शुभ दीपावली!!

नमस्ते /\ मुंबई से
अलोहा!

Cloudia said...

You folks are the सबसे अच्छा !

Feisty Crone said...

This looks like so much fun!

Brian Miller said...

nice. listening for the drums...i might take that tour...smiles.

aloha from Va!

Patricia said...

I wish one day I can visit Hawaii, amazing. Nice photos,

Anonymous said...

I wanna go, I wanna go on ALL the ghost tours! But they're not ghosts, they're real, they're spirits. Hawaii has too many legends and history about the spirits of the keepers of the islands. (Thought I was reading part of your book again....) Spooky Aloha, DrumMajor

Windsmoke. said...

G' Day From Oz, I'm always amazed that plants can grow on rocks and survive quit well. Nice photo of a ghostly image. Portuguese sausages frying something supernatural is at work there.

Phivos Nicolaides said...

Cool! Interesting. Aloha1

G-Man said...

Cloudia....
You are such a gracious host...G

Rajesh said...

Beautiful shots.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful shots. I guess most cultures like to think of spirits looking out for them.

Dr. Russell Norman Murray said...

'We look like a modern city. . . .'

Quite sunny even with the clouds.

I did a ghost tour in Edinburgh back in the 1990s. Works well with the old buildings.

Joop Zand said...

Hello Cloudia

Nice pictures from Hawaii.

Greetings from Holland, Joop

Reader Wil said...

Wow! That was spooky! Why is it that in my country there are no ghosts or witches or any other mysterious creatures?? I envy the Anglo-Saxon countries, which seem to have all the fun!!
Thanks for the Dutch greetings! Bedankt!Groetjes, Wil!

the walking man said...

I am my own ghost walking in a land of shadows inhabited by them who believe they live on still. Is it I or them who have reality at their command? I will make no decision that changes people.

Junosmom said...

Hi Cloudia, likely, you thought I went to the spirit world due to my absence! I'm still around, trying to get back into the swing.

Indrani said...

I like mystery.
Nice pics and quotes.
Namaste!

BLOGitse said...

I don't like ghosts.......
Aloha from Casa where you can see a lot of stray cats and rats!

Daryl said...

Haunted Hawaii ...who knew!

Betty Manousos said...

Looks like so great fun!
ALOHA!
B xx

Cloudia said...

BOO! LOL :)

THANKS