Friday, January 7, 2011

Liberated Hero

Aloha!
Welcome Back To Waikiki





"He that would make his own liberty secure,
 must guard even his enemy. . ."

  Thomas Paine






"There are moments
 when the will of a handful of free men
 breaks through. . . opens up new roads."

  Charles de Gaulle




"My definition of a free society
 is a society where it is safe
 to be unpopular."

  Adlai Stevenson,
 Detroit 1952



<°)}}><







We've visited my favorite hangout before:
 Hula's Bar & Lei Stand
 in the boutique Waikiki Grand Hotel
steps from the Honolulu Zoo, the beach,
 and Kapiolani Park.

What a view of Diamond Head!

Today I was passing some pleasant time at the bar
with a few of the other regulars.

As always, there were new faces too;
faces who might hail
 from anywhere in the world;
Waikiki's like that.

One new friend told me that he was happy
to have finally found an apartment.
"Here in the Grand?" I asked.
When he answered affirmatively, I asked him
about his line of work.
"I'm in the Navy."
I thought about that for a minute.


Gay or not,
 this guy feels safe living in a building
that flies the rainbow flag
 from a famous Gay bar
on the second floor.

And he feels safe drinking coffee
in here at 11am on a Friday.

"Isn't it great that you are free to live in this building
now that DADT was repealed?"

Silently he lifted his shirt sleeve
revealing a fresh tattoo,
less than a month old.
It read:




The date of repeal.



 Liberation day for this fellow

(and how many others)

who's chosen to serve his country

as a nuclear engineer, lately assigned

to shore duty at Pearl Harbor.

I feel better that he can now concentrate on his important work
and not on concealment.

Fair is fair,
That's what America is supposed to be about
and what makes me happiest of all.

Challenging times? Yes.
But good things are afoot too.
Dare to celebrate.
And don't give up the struggle
for simple humanity.
A TATTOO! Imagine what it means to him.

           What do YOU think? cloudia

31 comments:

Hilary said...

How wonderful.. it should never have been any other way.

Kay said...

Wow! I'm sorry it's taken this long for it to pass. I just hope Republicans don't do anything to it. Now then... civil unions.

tattytiara said...

It's staggering to think how hard so many people still have to fight for their basic human rights.

And re the colors of that first photo: WOW.

Windsmoke. said...

Should have been repealed a long time ago.

Full-On-Forward said...

Will you PLEASE THANK HIM FOR ME!!!!!

Great post!

JOhn

claude said...

That is a very good thing.
The french motto is "freedom, equality, fraternity"..
But is it better in my country !!!

Anonymous said...

Totally cool -- Grand guys serving with grand talents, of course he knew it was the Grand place to rent! Please thank him for me. I'd like to buy him a drink -- a new day for new stories and adventures. DrumMajor

Reader Wil said...

It's great that this was finally recognized. Free at last!
Happy New Yaer!

the walking man said...

I think any progress to full equality for all people regardless of their innate being is a step in the right direction.

Now that the LGBT community is moving faster and faster to that goal I wonder who we kick next? Immigrants is my thinking. We always need an oppressed group to make the rest feel as if they have worth. Damn shame on humanity.

黄清华 Wong Ching Wah said...

Cloudia,
Thanks for beautiful sunset of Waikiki especially the first image.

Happy Sunday,
Wong

Out on the prairie said...

Always nice to hear what you have to say.I wait for people to rant and rave trying to abolish this.

Digital Flower Pictures said...

I don't really know enough about it to have a truly informed opinion. My motto is pretty much "Live and Let Live". Thanks for posting all the Hawaii pictures. I am living a little through them.

Lori Skoog said...

Great post. Thank you for sharing it with us. It's about time something was done.... Hopefully it is making a big difference everywhere.

Myrna R. said...

I think it's wonderful. This never should have been an issue.

Feisty Crone said...

My comment has already been said--it's about time!

Grey Horse Matters said...

Found you through Lori's blog. Love your pictures of sun, sand and ocean. I could use some warm weather about now, we're under snow.

I'm happy that DADT was finally repealed, it's about time. People really have to get over themselves and their prejudices.

Friko said...

I don't understand what you are saying, Cloudia. Do you mean to say that gays couldn't openly be gays until recently in Hawaii?
Surely not.

Something very funny happened. One of your comments got classified as spam and selected out. There was nothing spammy or rude about it and I took it out, dusted it off and proudly displayed it.
So there, Blogger!

Linda Bob Grifins Korbetis Hall said...

amazing stuff shared.
well put.
Happy 2011.

Anonymous said...

Wearing ink surely is one of the greatest challenges I've met so far.

May this date be the beginning of a long written letter of and to freedom.

Please have a good Sunday you all.

daily athens

SandyCarlson said...

This made me cry with joy. Amen. May he always feel safe, and may he know our gratitude for his service. And may WE all know our gratitude. Goodness.

Pearl said...

I just finished your book, Cloudia, and now feel quite close to you.

:-)

I enjoyed your book. You had me there up in the shack, at the bar, in the taxi, next to you at the end.

I'm going to e-mail you now, if I ever end up in Hawaii -- and I'm bringing the book for you to sign.

Thank you so much for sharing!

Pearl

Unknown said...

Excellent, Cloudia! Thanks for this heartwarming post. Fair is indeed, fair. It should be a fundamental right of all of us not to have to hide who we are.

Heidi said...

Hello there, I just came across your blog and I love it. Your pics are so beautiful. Looking forward to your future postings. Greetings from cold and snowy Indiana. Heidi

magiceye said...

AMEN
LOVED STEVENSONS QUOTE ON FREEDOM

namaste /\ from mumbai
aloha!!

Orchid said...

beautiful shots.i also just came back from a holiday on the beach and i must say its beautiful. envy yoo living on the coast. cheers!!!

Angel said...

Very nice photos :) Very like it !

Freda said...

Now if only the churches would get real.

Cloudia said...

DADT is of course the recently repealed law that gay men and women had to hide their identities in order to serve in the US military.
England and other civilized nations have not discriminated against their own citizens in this way for sometime now. I'm glad my country is joining the present.

Thank YOU for your dear visit!

Joanna Jenkins said...

Congrats on your well-deserved POTW from Hilary. This was a fabulous post.
Cheers, jj

Brian Miller said...

what a beautiful thing...congrats on the potw...

ethelmaepotter! said...

I have never understood the ignorance of some people toward gays. Look at this guy - he's out there risking his life for a country where a significant percentage of people despise him for something he has no control over. No control, just as you and I have no control over how much air we breathe, or how much water we need, or our resilience to disease. It's just his LIFE, and he's obviously and rightfully unashamed. Who gives any of us the right to judge others different from "the norm?"
Liberated hero indeed.
Congrats on a well deserved POTW!