Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Waikiki Means

ALOHA 
& Welcome Back To Waikiki!


Your Table is Waiting. . . 







"In the cherry blossom's shade
  there's no such thing

     as a stranger." 

Kobayashi Issa







'Wai' means 'fresh water' in the Hawaiian tongue.
  'Kai' is seawater, or the sea.
So why is this ocean beach
 named after leaping fresh water?












Waikiki was part of an extensive ahupua`a, 
or ancient land division,


 that stretched from the  Ko`olau mountains 

rising up behind Palolo and Manoa Valleys,
 all the way down to the sea.







 On those high peaks, the god Kane was said to fall as rain,
 feeding waterfalls and the meandering streams
 that emerged at the Waikiki shore.   


Waikiki was named after these “spouting waters”.








photo courtesy of Nick Noble Photography here






' Uwe ka lani, ola ka honua. '
Hawaiian Wisdom

(When the heavens weep, the earth lives.
When it rains the earth revives.)




















The Hawaiians called the places where the water entered the sea:

 the "Healing Waters Of Kawehewehe."  

The Ali`i (or chiefs) had homes here down to monarchy days,

 gracious homes famous for hospitality.


   




First the Hawaiians,




and then visitors from all over the world



 came to bathe and to heal in this special place.

 








" If there is magic on this planet,
 it is contained in water. "

Loren Eiseley




Remember: There are NO tourists in Waikiki,
just visitors, guests,
FRIENDS!


Thank YOU for being a friend!
            Warmly, cloudia

24 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's me sittin' on da beach, lettin' the waves push me around, the best swimming pool in the world! Love the lush, green mountainsides. Aloha, DrumMajor

Kavita Saharia said...

Magical place that heals .Aloha Cloudia :)

இ Baŋäŋaz இ said...

Love to sip ma coffee with the surrounding of water. My second name is 'sea' and last name is 'spring@water'. tQ for info on Waikiki.

Randy said...

Looks like such a wonderful place.

Cloudia said...

Thanks so much for stopping by,

especially since Blogger is NOT updating me in links and readers again today!

Hattie said...

Loved this, the people blissing out there. It is so special in Hawaii.

magiceye said...

namaste /\ from mumbai
aloha!!

Anonymous said...

Nice, Cloudia!

TALON said...

So gorgeous! I'd love to visit your beautiful waters one day, Cloudia.

Full-On-Forward said...

H2O--the essence of Life! Now it's bottled and flavored. uess God didn't do a good enough job of making it for us! He smiled wryly!

I have sinned Cloudia--for I covetedeth thy camera---BEAUTIFUL SHOTS!


HFTEC,

John


I'll have my Cannon in a day or so!
Going with the Powershot SX30IS I think.

Anonymous said...

Magical photos of a lovely lovely place! You are so lucky to live there!

Akannie said...

Oh thank you so much!

Just what I needed tonight....xoxox

21 Wits said...

I do believe in the magic within water...what a lovely quote you shared, Uwe ka lani, ola ka honue.... we've been having much of it....our earth is smiling this morning....

Pearl said...

Pictures of Hawaii always make me think of the first time I saw the Rocky Mountains: This is too beautiful to be real...

Pearl

Lynn said...

Ah - I can't wait to visit someday! Thank you for the images of your home.

Charles Gramlich said...

The god falls as rain. I love that.

Daryl said...

Magical indeed

Shaista said...

What a gorgeous gorgeous post! So many wonderful quotes to memorise and copy into my journal.... Thankyou for sharing this living magic of your home xxx

Jeannie said...

What a beautiful spot to live - with a poetic language to boot.

PerthDailyPhoto said...

Through your eyes it is a magical place Cloudia. Hopefully one day I'll see it for myself!

wenn said...

i would love to visit Hawaii one day.

Cloudia said...

Thanks for your kind visit!!

Elephant's Child said...

Just beautiful as always. I love the couple in the water, and the final sunset. Thanks.

Kay said...

I grew up in Waipahu. It guess it means "water gushing forth." I wonder where it was gushing from.