Sunday, July 19, 2009

Back in the Day

A L O H A!
Welcome back to Waikiki
(Pull up a Swanson TV dinner)
"And that's the way it is. . . "


Pigeon Party
"Did you bring any crumbs?"


Torch Ginger blossoms have blossoms!



Watching Paul McCartney return to the Ed Sullivan theatre awakened many 60's memories, and begged perspective on the life that unfolded for the kid-me who watched the Beatles perform from that stage in 1963. . .



And this weekend marks the 4oth anniversary of the Apollo Moon Landing (yes, I capitalized it) - oh and of Woodstock (but we've already discussed that).




I remember the grainy pictures of men in diving suits planting a curiously limp flag amidst that "magnificent desolation" as Buzz called it. I remember stiff Nixon speaking to them on the phone as we all watched. I remember walking outside and looking up at the moon. "Humans are there," I thought; "We are there." And the whole world from Africa to Asia to Europe celebrated the achievement. We were'nt quite so hated then. The liberation from fascism in WWII still painted us as the "good guys." I remember that Wilson Pickett ROCKED big time that night on the Tonight Show with Johnny Carson, the prototypical host.





I remember tiny black and white TVs wheeled into an elementary school classroom, all of us (teachers included) mesmerized by the countdown. "3...2...1...Kickoff" as we watched John Glenn and the other Mercury astronauts leave the Earth and look back at it as only God had done before.





I remember seeing adults cry for the first time, they were my teachers, on that Thursday afternoon when they sent us home early. President Kennedy had been shot.
The world was still, oppressively still like a wake. For three days we were glued to the TV. "Mom! Someone shot Oswald!" I remember the reaction on the sheriff's face captured in newspaper stills.
I remember John John saluting the caisson and the handsome, lone, black horse behind it in the procession.





I remember the police riots and convention floor fascism of the Chicago Democratic Convention in '69. (I've always followed the conventions). "Mom! Do you see what's happening?!" "I'm only glad you're not there!" (You Crazy kid who turned out to be right about so many things.)
I remember watching the Watergate hearings all that weird Summer.




In a black and white world where we had three TV stations to choose from, where the narrative of public life was amazingly uniform (if stultifying), the authority who explained it all like the One True Patient Adult was Walter Cronkite.




News wasn't liberal or FOX; it was news delivered by newsmen (yes, overwhelmingly men) who were professional and didn't carp or advocate. They informed. We all have unconscious bias, but news was supposed to be about facts. They tried to be objective.




All the things above that I remember, I remember largely through the lens of my TV. I remember Walter telling us the story, sharing OUR modern story.
When he announced Kennedy's death and took off his glasses, that was a more powerful moment than all the posturing and shouting we see in a week of cable news today.










If you didn't live through all of that, it is impossible to explain just how much of a giant Walter was. From the WWII beaches of Normandy, to the assassination of Dr. King, to the relentless nightly spectacle of Viet Nam, Walter was the narrator of our times. When he expressed the opinion that 'Nam was a morass, LBJ turned from the TV and said: "If I've lost Walter, I've lost middle America.




There will never be another figure like him. Uncle Walter.
I remember looking up at that '60s sky as Canada Geese sailed before a harvest moon. I remember the smell of burning leaves, and the sound of a train from far away. "How old will I be in the year 2000?"



I can't imagine a person becoming a success who doesn't give this game of life everything he's got."
Walter Cronkite
Today I've used "Times" as the font of the day as tribute. Be sure to wash the black ink off of your hands before your touch anything.
A L O H A! Cloudia

23 comments:

the walking man said...

The last icon of a string of icons in journalism has passed on. It is sad what journalism has become, basically a venue to advertise the entertainment of the day's programming.

Now is when we are at the crossroads where the signs read Believe Nothing ave crossed by Follow the Herd st.

Dina said...

Wait, I'll put a Swanson TV Dinner in the oven. Fried chicken or Salisbury steak? Now where is that childhood folding TV table to put the aluminum tray on?
Love your font and everything you have "fonted" with it today. Especially "leave the Earth and look back at it as only God had done before." Oh yeah!
I will miss Walter too.

And interesting photos to boot. What are all those birds doing up there? How can a flower have a blossom?

SandyCarlson said...

A wonderful tribute. You have me teary eyed. A newsman. The kind of reporter who made reporting a challenging responsibility rather than a way to do his own thing. I think his strength lay in his deep, abiding respect for his audience. He cared.

Gemma Wiseman said...

What a gorgeous tribute to this man! Even though he is really just a vague memory for me, he is part of all that melee you describe in your post so beautifully!

Mike Golch said...

A fine Gentelman has gone home.unfortunaly there is no replacement that can hold a candle to him.
I think that I will have the Salisbury Steak Swanson T.V. dinner.
We used to have pigeons like that on Cleveland's Public Square,before the Beriguine Falcons took up residence on the Terminal tower that is.

Teresa said...

Love the post, Cloudia. And the way you recapped all the news Mr. Cronkite reported. Thanks for the memories.

Anonymous said...

News is now managed. We are fed the so-called news by committees of editors and would-be editors. Walter Cronkite was the last and among the best newsmen around and Edward R. Murrow was the greatest newsman of radio and television that ever way.

If you think about it, the news in the newspapers is not gathered but is bought by newspapers from AP and other gathering outfits.

The greatest thing to have happened is the Internet, blogging and email. All of this is killing newspapers and magazines a little bit at a time. Now, we know almost instantly, just from other bloggers, what is happening where they live and CBS doesn't have to send a newsman and a film crew there to report. I think it is great.

Your visit will count and help me Make History. Pick a Peck of Pixels

The Weaver of Grass said...

That would be a good meme Cloudia, along the lines of I remember. I too remember JFK's assassination - I have recently visited his grave in Arlington cemetery - a place I have always wanted to go.

Anonymous said...

Here's a shocker: I never watched Walter Cronkite because I preferred to read the newspaper! Even today, I rarely watch TV News.

Kay said...

Thanks for all the memories, Cloudia. I'll be celebrating my 60th birthday in about a week and I do remember all that.

Akelamalu said...

Fabulous post Cloudia, most of those memories are mine too. x

Anonymous said...

Superb post Cloudia-- just superb.

Anonymous said...

Cloudia -- that'd be neat to hear if there was a recording of Cronkite announcing Hawaii's statehood. One CNN article said he announced Okla. Univ. football while doing a radio job in Oklahoma in the early '40s! I stopped watching most TV news after he retired. A gentleman. DrumMajor

David Cranmer said...

Walter was on everynight at 6:30 in New York. He was so popular I remember they had this huge card (for his farewell) at our local department store to sign.

"...and look back at it as only God had done before." Well said.

DeniseinVA said...

Wonderful post! I saw Walter Kronkite many years ago near the Star of India in San Diego. We just happened by as he and his entourage were walking towards it. He had the same lovely smile on his face that I had come to recognize on TV, so when I heard he had passed away I went right back to that time.

You know that house you have there with all the doves on the roof? I could swear it is the same one down the street from the Prince Kuhio where we spent our last holiday. There was always a little black cat that slept in the plant pot and he never bothered those doves one bit. I wonder.....

laughingwolf said...

cronkite was a great man...

sir paul performed here in halifax last weekend... this weekend we had kiss....

Charles Gramlich said...

I was sorry to hear this. I always liked him.

Deborah Godin said...

Swanson's TV dinners...and who could forget those fold-and-snap TV tables to eat them on!! Thanks for a wonderful and very moving recollection!

Cloudia said...

Gosh! Thanks EACH of you!!
Denise: That little pigeon covered house IS near your hotel! (used to ve more cats thought ;-)

Each of these comments was a gift. Appreciate you folks!!!!

Aloha-

Anonymous said...

oral history!

Barbara Martin said...

TV dinners and TV trays on stands so you wouldn't miss a favourite program or the news.

I was home sick when John F. Kennedy was shot and heard it on the news; and watching the latest update on the Vietnam war on the local news between 6pm and 7pm while during those days being taught English and Social Studies by a man who was a draft dodger.

Bubblewench said...

I'm a few years younger, but he was THE newsman while I was growing up too. There will never been another like him.

Cloudia said...

Barb & Bubble: Love these comments . . . and YOU!!

Aloha