Wednesday, November 16, 2011

19 Years Before the Mast

A L O H A !
Sail On Sailor by The Beach Boys on Grooveshark

" There are some people who live 
in a dream world,
and there are some who face
reality;
and then there are those
who turn one
into the other.  "


Desiderius Erasmus




 



" A house is not a home
unless it contains food and fire
for the mind
as well as the body.  "

Benjamin Franklin












" If my world were to cave in tomorrow,
I would look back on all the pleasures,
excitements and worthwhilenesses 
I have been lucky enough to have had.

Not the sadness, not my miscarriages
or my father leaving home,
but the joy of everything else.

It will have been enough. "
 
Audrey Hepburn




   > < } } ( ° >



     
 
Oh how I loved the adventure
of moving on to the boat.

September, 1992. 

Hurricane Iniki came to visit days later.

What an adventure!
What a solution to expensive Honolulu housing.


It was all ours. It was private.  Quiet.
Harbor politics were just the price you had to pay
to live this special life on the water,
under the open sky
right here in Waikiki.

I completed my college degree,
worked  "a career"
wrote a novel
got older.

Oh how READY I was to get OFF
in recent months!
A million and one distasteful tasks 
every day.
And confinement.

ENOUGH!

But I cried the night before we moved.
"It's not too late to change our minds!"

I feel like I've been released 
from  prison,
or the military,
or the merchant marine.

Normal Civilian life
is SWEET!


Now I'm cooking, washing, sleeping.
A noise in the night no longer threatens
sinking.

The rain and wind pelt my snug window,
and our "deck" doesn't heave and churn
in rough weather.


I'm LOVING IT!

Cherish the roof over your head.

UPDATE:   A young(er) couple has given us earnest money
for the boat!

"I like tools in my hand." Says the guy who even has a slip to put it in!

Cleaning up, retrieving last possessions, I'm moved by how much of our life together
has been lived on that vessel; I'm glad it will get a new crew, life and voyage.

I'm so happy living indoors.  

Thanks for being a part of this sweet life.
And for your comment/gift!

                                                Warmly, cloudia




41 comments:

Pierre BOYER said...

Best regards from France...
Enjoy your day Cloudia !

Pierre

Hilary said...

Congrats on selling the boat. I hope it loves its new people as much as you love your new home.

FilipBlog said...

The first picutre is special. A an older wise men in deep thoughts.

Greetings,
Filip

Stefano Davanzo said...

A virtual hug from Italy... waiting to be back in your wonderful island

Ciao
Ste

Anonymous said...

Oh, I pity that couple! Do they know what they are getting into? Full disclosure?

Kavita Saharia said...

I am so happy for you Cloudia :):)hugs n hugs :):)

the walking man said...

What once looked cluttered and filled to the rim now has plenty of more space and time to fill with even more souvenirs of memory.

Jeannie said...

To everything there is a season. Good for you - living in the moment and enjoying where you are. Congrats on the sale!

Erika said...

Sorry for not having visited your blog during last week but I have some problems :(((( Ciao from Italy

Daryl said...

Congrats on selling the boat, I hope the new owners make as many good memories there as you two did

Charles Gramlich said...

Humans are amazing in that we can hold such disparate emotions inside us at the same time.

Jenn Jilks said...

Thanks for visiting, agin, and your kind words!
Q: what kinds of wildlife do you have in YOUR neck of the planet?!
cheers from Cottage COuntry!

Lynn said...

That's lovely that a young couple is buying your boat. And that quote by Audrey Hepburn? Perfection. Aloha!

Anonymous said...

Land Ho, Cloudia! Hope the possible buyer has lots of spinach to work the "Popeye" boat. DrumMajor

Fireblossom said...

Yes but why are pirates so cool?

They just ARRRR!

Welcome to land, Rubberlegs. ;-)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Erik Donald France said...

Wonderful! An epic living rotation variation, to be sure ~~ Cheers ~~!

Elephant's Child said...

Such a big change. Glad that you are loving the landlubbers life, and also glad that someone else is getting to love the life you just left.

21 Wits said...

Audrey had the best outlook on life.....she is one of my favorite people of all.....Aloha Cloudia!

Windsmoke. said...

I'm chuffed your mind is finally at ease and you are enjoying the landlubber lifestyle :-).

DeniseinVA said...

I am so happy for you, you've had the best of both worlds. You had a great adventure on that boat, one to be envied by many but you knew it was time. I'm also happy your boat has been passed on to another lovely couple, and I hope they will have many happy years on that beautiful old treasure of yours.

Carol said...

I feel relief for you every time you share your gratitude for the change you made in homes. AND, don't you think that Ben Franklin would be as at home in modern life as he was historically? His type of wisdom is enduring. And endearing.

Cloudia said...

thank YOU land person :-)

Brian Miller said...

smiles. i am glad you are settling and enjoying the life on land...

magiceye said...

good on you!

namaste /\ from mumbai
aloha!!

SandyCarlson said...

I am so glad that you are happy. That is delightful!

Personalized Sketches and Sentiments said...

Beautiful photos and quotes.

Stopping by through another, when I saw you lived in Hawaii :o)

My hubby's 3rd generation born in Hawaii of Portuguese descent.

Blessings & Aloha!

Indrani said...

Parting with something dear is always so tough, but then you are safer and happier now and that matters. :) Great post.

Miriam said...

What an adventure! I am SO happy that you're happy :), Miriam@Meatless Meals For Meat Eater

Randy said...

Great post and photos. Have a great day.

Cloudia said...

See why I LOVE YOU?
Thanks so much

PerthDailyPhoto said...

Oh I have enjoyed catching up with all your posts Cloudia. So happy that you are still enjoying life as a landlubber but with lovely memories of past years on the boat, good to remember the best bits yeh! I was thinking of you when I heard the talk on the radio about the APEC meeting, security to the max right! Your President Obama is here in Canberra (or he might have just left) so yeh again with the security!! It must be awful to never be without people guarding you! Audrey Hepburn was the most beautiful lady, in spirit as well as looks don't you agree. So glad to be home in Perth, Sydney is fantastic and exciting but there's nowhere like home.

Cloudia said...

*SMILE*

Oakland Daily Photo said...

It's true that dreams change over time. How fortunately you've been able to achieve yours. Enjoy your new snug harbor.

Pietro Brosio said...

Beautiful post, I'm glad you are happy!

Bob Bushell said...

I love the first one, he looks like is under the good spell.

Leovi said...

I love the last picture with that beautiful heaven to live a dream.

bichonpawz said...

Good for you Cloudia! Just enjoying another chapter of your life...on land!!

Have a great day!
Jeanne

Kay said...

It's sad to see a part of your life where you shared some happiness being sold. However, it's wonderful that dry land is giving you pleasure as well. At least you don't have to evacuate with the next threatened tsunami.

Cloudia said...

Can't be sad, I'd rather savor my memories with gratitude and make new ones TODAY!

Thank YOU for visiting

Daliana Pacuraru said...

My best regards from Romania, Cloudia!Happy weekend!