Friday, February 20, 2009

Friday Feel Good

Click on photos to enlarge!
"He deserves Paradise who makes his companions laugh."
Anonymous


"Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly."
M. F. K. Fisher
Public Servant



"I expect to pass through life but once. If therefore, there be any kindness I can show, or any good thing I can do to any fellow being, let me do it now, and not defer or neglect it, as I shall not pass this way again." William Penn







"Laughter is not at all a bad beginning for a friendship, and it is far the best ending for one." Oscar Wilde




Glad to see you! Come on in . . .

Our old friend Sharon Black, who we met at Christmas time providing a gigantic outdoor feast for the homeless (link to December blog post: "Gilding the Pill" is http://comfortspiral.blogspot.com/2008/12/gilding-pill.html )
has been recognized with the President's Volunteer Service Award for more than 20 years of direct service to Honolulu's neediest.


She started out pulling the food around Chinatown in her son's little red wagon, and her Great Danes always accompany her because "They make people smile" she says.


Every Saturday, hundreds of hungry people join them for the feast.
A L O H A! Cloudia












14 comments:

the walking man said...

It is getting harder to defeat the spirit of indifference within the soul because there is so much need without. It becomes harder to see need in others when there is need within. The war is never ending.

Dave King said...

I guess he might be sorely needed in Paradise, so maybe he'll (oe she'll) get a high priority.

magiceye said...

satiating hunger is indeed noble and deserves to be commended..

SandyCarlson said...

Totally excellent. I am glad this woman was honored.

I enjoyed your photos and words of wisdom, too. The Wilde man never disappoints!

DeniseinVA said...

Wonderful photos, wonderful quotes and a great post. I enjoyed learning of Sharon Black, a very special lady indeed. Thanks Cloudia, and thank you also for stopping by my blog and leaving such kind comments. Always makes me smile.

Charles Gramlich said...

Great quotes

Anonymous said...

CC, that dog looks awfully thin! Or is it an optical illusion???

Daryl said...

you know I come 'here' and it makes every day feel like Friday ... I just wish I was actually THERE

Anonymous said...

Nice to hear about such a selfless person, and the kindness she spreads!

Mrs. Douglass said...

Love the pictures -- did you take them? AND to answer your questions -- I am going to school to become a speech language pathologist. Can't wait to see more pics. :)

Cloudia said...

Walking Man: But we just keep walking, and we offer what we can.

Dave King: Poetic, Sir.


Magic Eye: We agree, my friend.



Sandy: Thank you, sistah.


Denise: ;-) Sweet!


Charles: Good to see ya!

Gigi: That's his pathetic "give me a snack" look. don't be fooled.

Daryl: It's Aloha Friday! Let's party!! You so cool....

Deborah: Not entirely unlike yourself, I'd say.

Hula Girl: So cool to see you! Wow, sounds like you have your hands full with a strong program; but please continue with your blog. and please come here often to dip your toe in the Waikiki surf, dancer! Aloha Dears!!

Feisty Crone said...

Penn's quote always stirs many emotions within me. Thanks for including it in this post, Cloudia. Aloha.

Junosmom said...

Very nice.
Not to change the subject - but is that a Great DANE!!??
You know, the Juno of Junosmom is a Great Dane, though she's earned her angel wings.

Barbara Martin said...

I have always liked Great Danes, but it's a shame their lifespans are so short.