Saturday, March 7, 2009

Royal Hawaiian

click on photos to enlarge! "And kind as kings upon their coronation day." John Dryden


"The gates of monarchs Are arched so high that giants may jet through And keep their impious turbans on without Good morrow to the sun." Shakespeare



"I'd like to be a queen in people's hearts but I don't see myself being Queen of this country." Diana, Princess of Wales

Perhaps I should run around in circles yelling like a 5 year old on a sugar rush: The Pink Palace a.k.a. The Royal Hawaiian Hotel will have a beyond-grand opening on Saturday March 7.th All orchestrated by event planning wizard David Beahm (a reformed High School drum major) credited with making Catherine Zeta-Jones / Michael Douglas nuptials the “wedding of the century.” Saturday’s gala is to be a benefit for the excellent Rehabilitation Hospital of the Pacific – so let the excess pour like it’s 1999! For a mere $5,000 USD you and three of your pals can repair to your own private poolside cabana for concierge pampering. Multiple venues will offer entertainment and atmosphere to suit any well heeled demographic: Chris Botti holding court in the Monarch Room with his band, local jazz chanteuse Ginai scatting on the lawn, and slack key guitar wonder Makana will initiate the new oceanside restaurant, Azure. 101-year-old Bill Tapia who played at the Royal’s FIRST opening bash, the first of February 1927, will beguile a new generation with his ukulele in the Coconut Grove. And yes, he still “gigs” regularly with real virtuosity! No word on whether Oprah will attend. I’ll be peering from behind the beach hedges. . .

14 comments:

the walking man said...

Why peer in? I am fairly certain that innocuous party crashers who make the rounds of small talk and chit chat will be greeted with a warm Aloha and an offer of a cheery beverage.

Anonymous said...

David and I stayed at the Royal for a few nights a year ago. We were treated like royalty-- champagne and banana nut bread and chocolate dipped strawberries were delivered to our room every afternoon. So romantic.

I am curious as to whether they changed the color scheme of the rooms. When we were there, the walls, towels, SOAP, and bedding were all pink. This was because the hotel is known as the PINK PALACE.

To see a photo of the room we stayed in, click on this link to my blog:

http://gigihawaii.wordpress.com/2008/03/15/waikiki-day-1/

Anonymous said...

TRY THIS:

http://gigihawaii.wordpress.com/2008/03/15/waikiki-day-1/

Anonymous said...

The bathroom walls were pink, but the bedroom was wallpapered.

Dave King said...

Lovely as always

Dina said...

Or . . . is there such a thing as a periscope camera?

nonizamboni said...

Save room for me behind the hedges! Wish I could be there with my 'impious turban' and camera. Sounds wonderful--as were your photos.
Hoping your weekend is perfect.

Anonymous said...

Quite a handsome building! Can't you get in and schmooze a bit?

Charles Gramlich said...

BTW, in case you didn't see my response to your comment on my blog, I do have a copy of your "Aloha" but I have not had a chance to read it yet. I will certainly comment when I do, but it's likely not to be until after school lets out. Darn student papers and sech.

Akelamalu said...

What a prophecy that quote of Diana's was!

Feisty Crone said...

wow! The Royal Hawaiian sounds like a blast!

Barbara Martin said...

Loved the Royal Hawaiian when I last visited my uncle who lived in Honolulu. Wonderful food.

Sepiru Chris said...

Cloudia,

What, no nuptials to preside over in the Royal Hawaiian?

Get the glammerati reading CS! Then have them wander over to discover who can help them tie their proverbial knot... and then all the canapes and champers you can imagine will be yours!

Tschuess,
Chris

Junosmom said...

Perhaps you can take photos for those of us who, despite it's worthy cause, will regretfully
not be able to attend?