Friday, May 1, 2009

Time's Bottom

Aloha - Welcome!
Click on photos to enlarge
Iolani Palace Palms

"One's destination is never a place but rather a new way of looking at things."
Henry Miller



Chinatown Puggy

"When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth."
George Bernard Shaw

Baby Coconuts!

"Admiration, n.: Our polite recognition of another's resemblance to ourselves."
Ambrose Bierce

Today I would like to share one of my favourite poems with you. Here we "see to the bottom of time." Thank you for your visit. You are much appreciated!




To Say Before Going to Sleep
by Rilke

I would like to sing someone to sleep,
have someone to sit by and be with.
I would like to cradle you and softly sing,
be your companion while you sleep or wake.
I would like to be the only person
in the house who knew: the night outside was cold.
And would like to listen to you
and outside to the world and to the woods.
The clocks are striking, calling to eachother,
and one can see right to the bottom of time.
Outside the house a strange man is afoot
and a strange dog barks, wakened from his sleep.
Beyond that there is silence.
My eyes rest upon your face wide-open;
and they hold you gently, letting you go
when something in the dark begins to move.

Translated by Albert Ernest Flemming, except where he uses: "edge" of time, while I prefer other translators' use of the word "bottom."
A L O H A! Cloudia

20 comments:

Reader Wil said...

This poem causes a lot of emotions in me. It's beautiful and I remember sitting near my children when they were sick. My husband when he died and my mum, when it was her last night. Thanks for sharing. Also for your kind words on my blog about the tragedy.

The driver who caused the accident died. He was a lonely, very quiet man of 37 and didn't mix with other people. Who knows how desperate he must have felt.

the walking man said...

"I would like to be the only person
in the house who knew: the night outside was cold."

To be able to protect others from the knowledge of what lurks outside the house and what is to come is a fine thing...to be able to give someone reason to sleep in peace and not fear the coming dawn is a trait to be envied.

SandyCarlson said...

What a beautiful poem about being loved and loving as well as about being vulnerable and human. We're just people, and we ache to love and care.

Beautiful, Cloudia. You are a great start to Friday for me!

EG CameraGirl said...

Wonderful poem, Cloudia. Feeling alone is a universal and so is wanting to give peace and love to at least one special person.

Anonymous said...

So beautiful.

Daryl said...

Another good waiting impatiently pup .. and glorious Hawaii .. Aloha!

Charles Gramlich said...

I've got a collection of Rilke's poetry. Good stuff.

Akelamalu said...

Love the poem and the little pug! :)

Anonymous said...

ChinaTown Puggy - The best.

DeniseinVA said...

Photos are lovely, and the post as always a treat to read, and the poem, well I can see why it is one of your favorites. Have a great weekend under those oh so blue skies my friend.

Anonymous said...

Gosh those baby coconuts look like pawpaws. I am going to plant some pawpaws just as soon as they get here. I want them for Zebra Swallowtail Butterflys.

I really like your photos.

Deborah Godin said...

Thanks for that poem, it's a keeper.

Cloudia said...

Gosh, each one of you and your comments are worthy of extended response! I respond eagerly while reading them. Please excuse me for not replying to each at length here. My stolen moments here in the blogosphere are like precious mini-vacations! I will say that if mr. A. Lincoln likes my photos, I MUST be doing something right!! Have you seen HIS stuff?
Look around you. This little tea party contains some wonderful bloggers.....Aloha friends ;-)

roughterrain crane said...

Thank you for commenting on my blog. Hawaii has interesting culture based on the original religion. To live with nature tells us many precious things.

magiceye said...

very evocative poem..

namaste /\
aloha

DT ~ RDH said...

It's May Day! Aloha! :)

Feisty Crone said...

What a beautiful poem! And I love the pic of the baby coconut! Aloha, Cloudia!

Maria Verivaki said...

i've just seen baby coconuts for the first time - what a treat

life has many funny moments, which can all be called hidden truths!

Just Be Real said...

Very sweet poem Cloudia. Love the Chinatown Pug! Blessings!

Cloudia said...

JustBe, Med Kiwi, Gran, DeeTree, Magic Eye, and R.T. Crane: I enjoyed these comments! thanks for making my day. Aloha