Friday, December 17, 2010

Captain Beefheart, Dead at 69

Captain Beefheart & Frank Zappa






Don Van Vliet,
 aka Captain Beefheart,
 dead at 69
SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — Musician and artist
 Don Van Vliet, who performed a complex brand 
of experimental rock under the name Captain Beefheart,
 died Friday. He was 69.

Van Vliet was probably best known
 for the album "Trout Mask Replica,"
 which was released in 1969
 by Captain Beefheart and His Magic Band.
The album's angular, dissonant take on blues rock
 and Van Vliet's growling, surreal lyrics
 put him outside the mainstream,
 but staked his place in rock history.
Rolling Stone magazine recently ranked "Trout Mask Replica"
 number 58 on its list of the 500 greatest albums of all time.
 The album was produced by fellow experimental rock pioneer 
Frank Zappa, a high school friend from the desert town of Lancaster,
 Calif.

By shunning commercial success and a more accessible sound,
 Van Vliet became a role model for subsequent generations of musicians.
 His music is cited as an influence on the rise of punk, post-punk
 and new wave.
 Beefheart is also claimed as a kindred spirit by free jazz musicians
 and avant-garde classical composers.
In the 1980s, Van Vliet turned full-time to art.
 He painted in a raw, expressionistic style and showed
 his acclaimed work widely even as he withdrew from the public eye.
He is survived by his wife of more than 40 years.

Related article





28 comments:

Commander Zaius said...

Bummer, I'm starting to feel old now.

Daliana Pacuraru said...

I just listen...Thank you!
Best regards from Romania!

Brian Miller said...

i am so out of the loop...i need to look up this album...

Reanaclaire said...

greetings... sorry, i never heard of him bfore till now..

bichonpawz said...

I feel old now too...sorry to hear about his death.

Charles Gramlich said...

Sorry to hear that, although I wasn't really strongly into his music.

黄清华 Wong Ching Wah said...

Just went to read about Captain Beefheart, lost of an artist ...

Gledwood said...

Were captain beefheart and frank zappa mentally ill...? Or was it just the 1960s. Speaks for itself really.

Well you're lucky living in Hawaii. Have you seen that Luminous Tomato Soup volcano explode?

I would make a pathetic pun along the lines of me in London, you iln Hawaii and how London is Cloudier than Hawaii... wah waaargghhhhh.

Enough.

Have a cheery weekend now ;-)

Gledwood said...

can't even spell Hawaii right now, can I?

i've got no reading glasses and i badly need 'em. that's me excuse

right i'm off

the walking man said...

At least he left a bit behind. He is well resting now.

Myrna R. said...

I wasn't inot his music, still he was an innovative artist. Sorry for his death.

Anonymous said...

Never heard of him or his music.

Akelamalu said...

I've never heard of him but 69 is no age these days is it? :(

Out on the prairie said...

He carried a strong influence on my turning toward jazz, and still liking the kicking rock and roll his buddy Frank put out. I remember a favorite lyric, "Drinking hot coffee from an old crimped up can, me amd my dog, Limbo , Bimbo and Spam."

Bitch said...

Today, with all these cancer illness.
It is still OK reaching the age of
69...
I didn't know him either!
Greetings.
Monika

Ileana said...

Incredible artist. How sad to learn he is gone at such a young age.

Fireblossom said...

Oh no, so ends The Muffin Man. Drat.

Windsmoke. said...

The death of Captain Beefheart a true pioneer in the music industry is sad loss indeed. R.I.P.

Anonymous said...

As I don't watch any TV for the last six years now, I thank you for keeping me in touch with life.

Great music, I did not hear before. Please have a good Sunday you all.

daily athens

Rosaria Williams said...

Oh my, too young to die! Didn't have a clue about his importance. Thank you.

Unknown said...

Ah, yes. I was little when Trout Mask was released, so I will try very hard to avoid feeling old! But I did have a brother 6 years older who dug good music. RIP Captain Beefheart.

Trotter said...

Hi Cloudia! So long ago I've heard about Captain... Life is dangerous...

Blogtrotter Two is moving south on the Nile: water, greenery and desert… Enjoy and have a great week!

Feisty Crone said...

Feeling old here in Seattle. oh well! Aloha!

Feisty Crone said...

Feeling old here in Seattle. oh well! Aloha!

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas!

Full-On-Forward said...

Ahhh- The "Mother" of Invention...Zappa was a staple in the dorm in 71-72, now Capt Beefheart eluded me. How I do not know! But me like a lot!

Blessings and

Hugs from SC,

John

Cloudia said...

Luv you guys, thanks!

Anonymous said...

Hey, I am checking this blog using the phone and this appears to be kind of odd. Thought you'd wish to know. This is a great write-up nevertheless, did not mess that up.

- David