Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Splendor of China

歡迎   Aloha
 Happy 11 1 11
 

Click on the pictures / 点击图片

 Went to the Splendor of China trade show

& extravaganza on Saturday.

A bargain trip to the Middle Kingdom

at $3/door.

 

 

“ With money you are a dragon;

with no money, a worm ”

 

  Chinese Proverb









“ On with the dance! 

Let joy be unconfined ”

 

Lord Byron 
 
 
 
 



  

     

      “To forget one's ancestor's 

                                is to be a brook without a source,

                           a tree without root ”

 

                                            Chinese Proverb 




Root & seed of Chinese culture:

brush, ink, stone.





Bridge Child


" One joy 
scatters
      a hundred griefs. "











" An inch of time is an inch of gold
but you can't buy that inch of time
with an inch of gold. "




" Not until just before dawn
do people sleep best; 
not until people get old 
do they become wise. "


Chinese Proverbs



As we walked along,
I saw the Shanghai Calligrapher Zun Gui Li 
executing a stroke of the piece above. 
One didn't need factual knowledge of the art
to appreciate the grace,
flair, control & off-handedness
in his movements and results.

Thick, thin, light, dark 
the lines played out perfectly.
When he wrote in
the finer, smaller characters
I went wild (quietly).

  His assistant explained to me 
that such a piece
would sell in Shanghai for the equivalent
of $45 USD,
but that he wanted me to have it
for $20
as I was clearly so taken
with it's creation.

  Now that I live on shore, 
I can hang calligraphy!

  This photo
was taken in my apartment.
(I do want to get it framed)


  The artist expressed to me
through his intermediary
that it alludes to the fact that

"kind people live a long time."

Happy thought for you
and for me!


Thanks SO much for visiting today.
Your comment is a gift!
                                          Warmly, cloudia

31 comments:

Hilary said...

Lovely photos, Cloudia. Congrats on acquiring this lovely piece of calligraphic art.

Rosaria Williams said...

Love the sentiment in that calligraphy piece.

The Weaver of Grass said...

I love that calligraphy Cloudia - I have a piece on my wall which I bought some years ago in China - exquisite.

Reanaclaire said...

Hello, greetings to you Cloudia.. wise quotes in today's post..

Charles Gramlich said...

Kind people live a long time? I try to be kind. I don't always succeed.

foongpc said...

That's a nice calligraphy! Love it! : )

Lynn said...

They know a kind lady when they see one! That piece is a treasure.

PerthDailyPhoto said...

J'adore your new art piece Cloudia, and how nice to have a place to hang it! As for the 'wealth' quote, I could be a 'worgan' or a 'drarm', half way between either!!

Daryl said...

Isnt it awesome to have walls to hing things on?

Anonymous said...

very nice, cloudia.

Gemel said...

What a great day out. Loved the vibrancy of the photos ♥

Windsmoke. said...

I like the two Chinese Proverbs below the photo of the old lady and kind people live a long time i hope that is me :-).

Autumn Belle said...

It is a colourful show. Love all the quotes here. The piece of calligraphy is a good buy. Calligraphy is beautiful, with just black brush strokes on plain white paper, yet the meaning is deep. This is beauty in simplicity.

FilipBlog said...

China is promoting their country. Love the kid.

Greetings,
Filip

Anonymous said...

What treasure you own.

Long life for you and a good new month of it as well.

Cloudia said...

100 years to EACH of us, friends!

thank you :-)

Commander Zaius said...

Great photos!

My Chinese splendor is my adopted Chinese daughter.

Rick said...

Colorful photos, Cloudia ! And you acquired a beautiful piece of art with a story !

I spent some time catching up on your recent posts and enjoyed them, along with all those words of wisdom.

Aloha !

Feisty Crone said...

Great pictures, Cloudia! Hey, I've been a happy worm for years :)

黄清华 Wong Ching Wah said...

I don't just enough money, am I a dragon or worm !!! Like the calligraphy creation !

Elephant's Child said...

That piece of calligraphy was made for you. Beautiful, and an apt summation of character.
I have long appreciated dragons (from a poverty stricken position - you get a better view that way).

Bitch said...

Enjoy the piece of beautiful art!

I LOVE the picture of the old lady!!!

Leovi said...

Nice photo, eating delicious heart shaped cookies of various sizes.

Bob Bushell said...

Oh, what a lovely expedition, cheers Cloudia.

இ Baŋäŋaz இ said...

Just to add on how the proverb comes into place "With money you are a dragon; with no money, a worm"

In pinyin, Dragon is *lǒng* & worm is *chóng* which rhymes and moreover the worm wriggles just like dragon. Some others also use this expression, when they like you, looks like a dragon and when dislikes, a worm.

Nice calligraphy. Aloha.

FruitCake said...

I don't always leave comments, but I do always leave your posts with a smile. Thanks Cloudia.

DeniseinVA said...

Looks like you had a wonderful time and came home with a lovely memento. Thanks for taking us along Cloudia.

Myrna R. said...

What a lovely work of art. Enjoy it.

Cloudia said...

Each of YOU adds a gift to my day.


Thank YOU

Randy said...

What a wonderful post. Have a wonderful day!

SandyCarlson said...

You will live a long time!

Thanks for this post!