Friday, May 18, 2012

Last Dance

ALOHA, Donna Summer


Upside Down by Donna Summer on Grooveshark


 It was a time,
what a time it was;
New Liberation
and no AIDS yet,
or even GRID.






Dancing was freedom
Dancing was who we were,
what we were about.
Night after night,
every night
of the week.
The "General Public"
knew nothing of it!











 It was a secret,
on the back streets.
There was
NO RAINBOW FLAG
as yet.

But there was 
DANCING.

Hip people
can roll their eyes,
but back then,
before John Travolta
or the BEE GEES
heard the beat,
it was
ours.

The "Club Kids"
and the "Rave Kids"
didn't
invent
ecstatic dancing.


We didn't invent it either,
but we 
re-discovered
and lived it!


It goes back
to the beginning.











Every Gay Bar
in the world
wrapped up the night
with Donna Summer's
"Last Dance."

I'm sure many still do.
They will tonight
for sure.


Tonight
in Heaven
a LOT of people
dear to me
who died TOO young
are dancing their
 ASSES OFF!

Get me a drink friends,
cause I'm gonna rip it up
when I get there!
Last Dance (Long Version) by Donna Summer on Grooveshark


Thanks for stopping by 
the wake

YOU are my friend
and YOU
are 
APPRECIATED! 

Fondly, cloudia

20 comments:

Brian Miller said...

def was sad to hear of her passing....and smiling at the memories of dancing....

aloha from va!

Elephant's Child said...

You are such a dear. I am certain that when the time comes you will indeed dance up a storm.

DeniseinVA said...

One of a kind, may she rest in peace. I guess we'll all be dancing up a storm one day. I used to dance a lot way back when. I loved listening to the beat.

the walking man said...

What can I say...Disco lost all of it's left over charm yesterday. Not that you could get me to dance to it. Cha Cha

Pierre BOYER said...

I particulary love the picture of the sunset on the roofs...
Best regards,

Pierre

Hilary said...

A lovely tribute.

Daryl said...

another loss ...

claude said...

Yes, another loss, after The Voice.
Aloha, Cloudia !

Myrna R. said...

Nice to pay tribute to the Queen. Let's not wait 'til we're in heaven to dance. Dance now.

Charles Gramlich said...

Have to admit I was never a dancing man. Course, there wasn't much of a club scene where I grew up.

Charles Gramlich said...

Sorry to hear of her death, though. I did like "Love to Love you, baby."

PerthDailyPhoto said...

Can you just imagine the 'jam' session going on 'up there'..so many fine singers and musicians! Lovely post Cloudia.

21 Wits said...

Such lovely words for another dear heart gone too soon.....

Cloudia said...

Can't believe how very much it means to me that YOU are here. Each of YOU!



Thanks

Anonymous said...

Okay - make reservations; I want a saved seat at the party! DrumMajor

Erika said...

I loved this singer and I remember when I danced with her wonderful voice and music. I'm sad.
Wish you a nice w.e., cara Cloudia. Ciao dall'Italia.

Kiss
Erika

Indrani said...

I have not heard this before, but a great tribute.

Kay said...

She left us much too soon. It's so very sad that her life was cut short after giving everyone so much pleasure.

Feisty Crone said...

I was so sad to hear about Donna's death. I danced to many of her songs (in my younger days :).

Cloudia said...

Love you! thanks for visiting here :-)