Saturday, June 30, 2012

White Bird of Paradise

A  L  O  H  A !

White Bird by Jefferson Airplane on Grooveshark

" Nobody outside of a
 baby carriage
 or a
 judge's chamber
believes in an
unprejudiced
 point of view. "

Lillian Hellman

















“ May brooks and trees
and singing hills
 join in the chorus too,
and every gentle wind
that blows
 send happiness
 to you.”

 Irish Blessings










  Several of these beauties
flourish on my street.
"The Bird of Paradise tree"
or "White Bird of Paradise

Strelitzia nicolai  (that's a link)

 has banana-like foliage
 and with room
 may grow to 25 feet
in height.

A native of
 subtropical South Africa. 
 her flowers grow
 to a full 12 inches long. 


The first time one sees
 Strelitzia,
she is a bit of a visual shock,
after having become accustomed
 to the smaller, more common
Bird of Paradise, 
with her
familiar orange 
'birds.'

  










Strelitzia nicolai

 Image taken from: 'Water-colour Drawings of Plants from South Africa, Canaries, Azores, West Indies and Two Views of Niagra' by Francis Masson (1770-1798). 
Held in the Botany Library at the Natural History Museum, London.
Courtesy SCIENCEPHOTOLIBRARY
























  

  Never be haughty to the humble
 or humble to the haughty.  "

Jefferson Davis









 >  <  }  }  ( ° >


Thank  YOU
for walking along
today.

Make my day - leave YOUr comment! 
                            Warmly, cloudia

16 comments:

who said...

The first quote is so true, and the worst type of bias is the unrecognized version of prejudice. We are all human, but there are work a rounds US beings.

Hilary said...

Always a pleasure to walk with you, Cloudia. I always learn something, nod at some wisdom, find myself smiling and walk away just that little bit better than when I arrived.

TexWisGirl said...

those birds of paradise are such impressive flowers! :) and i love the irish blessing.

Birdman said...

That Hellman quote is interesting today.

Kay said...

How very interesting. I've never seen a white one before. I love those Irish blessings. Have a happy Saturday, Cloudia.

FilipBlog said...

The famous rainbow pictures and the second picture is perfect.

Greetings,
Filip

Cloudia said...

SO glad to see each of YOU today


THANKS!

Elephant's Child said...

I have missed your thought provoking and beautiful posts while I have been absent from the blogosphere. I am reading on stolen time today, but am so glad that I purloined a little time for me. Thank you for another beautiful post

Betty Manousos said...

always feels good to walk with you!

xo

Rick said...

Lovely snippets of your day, Cloudia, and wonderful to browse through the posts I've missed recently.

Aloha !

Charles Gramlich said...

Nature's diversity is so amazing, and beautiful.

Unknown said...

So nice I love those birds of paradise!!thank you for taking us with you...

magiceye said...

was a pleasure walking with you on a flower lined path

namaste /\ from mumbai
aloha!!

Myrna R. said...

Thank you for the photos, the flower lessons and the quotes. You make my day.

Friko said...

My favourite quote today is the Jefferson Davis one.
Treat others as you wish to be treated yourself.

Cloudia said...

Your comments touch me! YOU are each very appreciate :-)