Monday, July 9, 2012

Law of the Splintered Paddle

Under the Greenwood Tree by Donovan on Grooveshark 

" It is neither wealth
 nor splendor;
 but tranquility
 and occupation
which give you
 happiness. "

Thomas Jefferson
















" No great intellectual thing 
was ever done
 by great effort. "

 Theodore Roosevelt

















" Keep green places
in your heart.

Perhaps a singing bird
will nest there "

Chinese Proverb














Mamalahoe 
"The Law of the Splintered Paddle" 
Viliami Toluta’u,  artist
Learn more

" People sleep peaceably
 in their beds at night
 only because rough men
 stand ready
to do violence
on their behalf.  "

George Orwell















Irish Hawaiian Chinese Family
19th Century


“The Americans
 have need of the telephone,
 but we do not.
We have plenty 
of messenger boys.”
 
Sir William Preece, 
Engineer-in-chief,
 British Post Office, 1876













" There is no power on earth 
that can neutralize the influence
 of a high, 
simple,
and useful life.  "

Booker T. Washington



  >  <  }  }  ( ° >



THANK YOU!
Comments are most appreciated

                         Warmly, cloudia

23 comments:

The Weaver of Grass said...

I would very much like a singing bird in my heart Cloudia, particularly in this absolutely awful wet, cold weather.

Anonymous said...

that was a beautiful post, I enjoy the splintered paddle story, I love to hear your language spoken, just beautiful like music.

the walking man said...

So let me see if I have this right, you lose a battle get all angry and shit so you find yourself some folks just minding their own business and attack them, to make yourself feel better. Then if fate and fortune intervenes they get to paddle you until they break the paddle. Then you change the rules and say don't mess with people just minding their own business getting some dinner?

I think the rule should be if they help your dumb ass get free of the trap you fell into after paddling the hell out of you then you should catch and make them dinner.

I may not have it right but it was done without any effort so it must be quite intellectual this understanding of mine.

Birdman said...

I wonder where all these neat Chinese proverbs come from? Who thought? Who wrote?

Anonymous said...

Great ideas for beautiful photographs ... peace is present ...
Thank you.

TexWisGirl said...

i love your green - refreshing. and i'm laughing at the walking man's synopsis. :)

Akelamalu said...

Lovely post Cloudia. Happy Monday to you x

Teresa said...

Great quotes!! I love the picture of that statue.

Daryl said...

I am not sure what Walking Man is explaining since I honestly didnt get the title of the post ... I must have missed something to tie it to the quotes/photos .. going back to look/read again

PerthDailyPhoto said...

Your first image feels like quintessential Hawaii, interesting post Cloudia you always give us info to ponder!

21 Wits said...

Oh yes, those lovely green spaces! I got a green house for my birthday, and I'm building toward a green winter coming...hopefully a long, very long time from today! Enjoy your week! Love those statues too!

Joop Zand said...

Very good post Cloudia

greetings, Joop

Charles Gramlich said...

I like the Orwell quote. I wish it wasn't true but it seems it is.

nanny said...

Chinese Proverb.....so great....I love green spaces of every kind!!

Stefano Davanzo said...

Great Word & shot
Juts 3 nweek and I'll be back in your wonderful Island

See you all around

Stefano

bobbybegood1 said...

Wow! Those men can guard me anytime. How about you? Cheers!!

bobbybegood1 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Cruising the seas between Greek islands, it is your first quote, which I start to learn to live.

Please have you all a wonderful Tuesday.

daily athens photo

Rajesh said...

Wonderful shots.

Anonymous said...

So inspirational!

Cloudia said...

Thanks everyone!
The comments are the best part of each post to me.

Walking Man - what can I say?

Daryl- the link takes you to a brief telling of the tale of the paddle.

Thanks SO much EACH of YOU, especially bobbiebegood who entered comment twice as nice LOL

Full-On-Forward said...

I NEED TO BE PADDLED. BUT I DO HAVE A GREEN PLACE IN MY HEART FOR A BIRD TO NEST!

LOVED THE SONG--AND YOU MY FRIEND!

J

Cloudia said...

Thanks, John