Monday, June 6, 2011

Blessing Animals

Aloha & Welcome Back to Hawaii

 It is time again for the ancient Japanese ritual,
Chinowa
in which people pass through a ring
of chigaya grass
to receive a blessing of good health. 

Dating from Nara period (710-749 CE)
the blessing initiates a process of renewal & revitalization, invoking increased flow
of Universal Life Energy,
strengthening us for the second half of the year
(New Year is the prime time for blessings!)




 A Shinto Shrine grew in old Honolulu,
outside the city herself:
 Hawaii Kotohira Jinsha-Hawaii Dazaifu Tenmangu.






 In time, a modern city grew up around her.
A major highway passes very near.

As with everything else here in Hawaii,
we have put our own spin on Chinowa.
Here, it is an occasion to bless our 
companion animals,
and lucky Ti leaves 
are used in place of chigaya.









"The nature of God is a circle
of which the center is everywhere
and the circumference is
nowhere. "

Empedocles



We can judge the heart of a man
by his treatment of animals."  

Immanual Kant






“Men are slower

 

to recognize blessings

 

than evils.”

 

 

 Titus Livy





“Prayers go up 

 

and blessings come down”

 

 

Yiddish Proverb
 
 
 
 
 
"If having a soul means
being able to feel love and loyalty
and gratitude,
then animals are better off 
than a lot of humans"  

James Herriot


And yes,
I got my
blessing!

Here's sharing it
             with YOU- warmly,     cloudia

35 comments:

Joop Zand said...

Lovely serie Cloudia, especially picture one is so nice.

greetings, Joop

Kavita Saharia said...

Good to learn about Chinowa.Thanks for all the beautiful pictures.

Ileana said...

Your pictures and your customs are always fascinating! Thanks for sharing.

Reanaclaire said...

What an enlightening post.. joyful writings...

Couture Carrie said...

Gorgeous post, darling!
Love the quotes!

xoxox,
CC

KrippledWarrior said...

some humans are not nearly as humane as we would hope.

21 Wits said...

sometimes I believe my list of animal friends out weighs my human friends...really....and if you ever need a friend or someone to count on...always they are there to greet you happily...even those animal creatures that aren't even mine.....we need a ring like that over here....what a lovely tradition that is..but then it is in one of the most lovely spots ever! Thanks for sharing this story with us, I so enjoy learning about such things !

Anonymous said...

Cloudia -- isn't that a sunset in your first pic? Okay -- the ring looks like a giant lei -- much the same purpose, it seems. Would Pirate Kitty go the the blessing? I think the doggies might have spooked him. DrumMajor

Lynn said...

A lovely thing - Chinowa. How lovely.

Maude Lynn said...

I love the blessing of the animals!

Anonymous said...

Good for you and kitty!

Marguerite said...

Such a lovely custom and post! As always, great quotes and pics! Have a happy week, cher!

Birdman said...

You haven't lived completely, if you've walked this earth w/o a pet.

Myrna R. said...

Thanks for sharing your blessing and your pictures. Wish I'd been there. I so love animals. I think they bless us constantly.

irinapictures said...

Amazing wise tradition! And great photos, as usual.

Hattie said...

There is so much Asian culture in Honolulu, where, as you say, people put their own spin on things. I did not know about Chinowa, either.

Windsmoke. said...

A very quaint custom indeed :-).

Monkey Man said...

Another great set of quotes. I enjoyed reading this post and the previous three.

Elephant's Child said...

Thanks. Again.

Mari Sterling Wilbur said...

Very interesting and informative. I love blogs where I learn new things and Chinowa is new to me. I also love your photos.

Thank you for the comment on my blog. What does the comment ><}}(°> mean? See, I am learning something else from you!

Regards, Mari

PerthDailyPhoto said...

Excellent post Cloudia, and perfect end with the James Herriott quote. Have a lovely day in Hawaii.

SandyCarlson said...

I love this. What a beautiful ceremony. I agree with Mr. Herriot!

TALON said...

What a beautiful ritual, Cloudia, and beautiful photos, too!

bichonpawz said...

It's so interesting to read all about your beautiful Hawaii!!

I love this:
We can judge the heart of a man
by his treatment of animals."

Immanual Kant

Pierre BOYER said...

Have a nice day...

Pierre

Rajesh said...

Wonderful shots and interesting ritual.

Charles Gramlich said...

I always say that dogs are the best thing humans have ever done.

Dinesh chandra said...

nice

Leovi said...

Great photos, with very good frames. My favorite is the first with a beautiful light in the sky. Greetings.

the walking man said...

I keep telling my dogs they live a great comfortable life but they always seem to want even more. Have you ever tried to carry like a baby a 50 pound mutt? I tried to saddle her so she could carry me but she wasn't having any part of that.

Betty Manousos said...

lovely series of photos!

betty

Cloudia said...

These comments make my heart brim over!


thank YOU very much

இ Baŋäŋaz இ said...

Been a long traditional chigaya grass blessings dated back to 710-749 CE. Great info. tQ.

黄清华 Wong Ching Wah said...

I remember "Kamehahameha" in the dragonball series and movies but did not know what it means ...
Interesting Kamehameha day as I read from Wiki ... an a public holiday celebrated from 1871. Amazing ! Thanks !

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.