Saturday, June 13, 2009

Weekend Woosh

Aloha Saturday!
You are Entering virtual WAIKIKI!
click on photos to enlarge
Playmates
". . . I improvised, crazed by the music. . . . Even my teeth and eyes burned with fever. Each time I leaped I seemed to touch the sky and when I regained earth it seemed to be mine alone."
Josephine Baker

Shell Ginger


“Language is the apparel in which your thoughts parade before the public. Never clothe them in vulgar or shoddy attire.”
George Crane


Never Know Who You Will See
in WAIKIKI!


“Group conformity scares the pants off me because it's so often a prelude to cruelty towards anyone who doesn't want to -- or can't -- join the Big Parade.”

Bette Midler





Ah! The weekend is here!


What shall I do today?
Of course I could never miss the King Kamehameha Day Floral Parade!


Though Thursday was the official State Holiday, yesterday saw his statue downtown in the Capitol District honored with song, chant & prayer - then bedecked with bounty of king-sized lei. I enjoy going to see the statue late at night when it can be just Him & me.
And the scent of lovingly offered flowers.




What does he think (I wonder)
about our stewardship of his beloved &
Sacred `Aina (land)
?


When I was a kid, the only holiday near my birthday was Kamehameha Day, and I always felt a bond with this King from a far pacific and distant past. There always seemed to be 'something' between the King and the little Kid growing up in "mainland" Philadelphia.
Perhaps he was inviting me
'home."
So I will join the crowds cheering the Royal Hawaiian Band,
the floats,
the mounted Island Princess'.
Sun, Sound and Scents
will affect us all like strong drugs.


China Uemura will also be hosting his annual
Wahine Surf Classic.


And now a confession:
I live on a boat, and
I own a sea kayak that I haven't used in a YEAR!


Not pretty is it? ;-(
But I pledge to paddle!
So be sure to return and hear all about my mini- voyage.
(or rescue)
I'll be around to visit all of YOUR blogs too.
Have a great weekend,
FRIENDS!
A L O H A! Cloudia

19 comments:

SandyCarlson said...

Cloudia,
I hope this holiday is wonderful for you. I can't wait to see the pictures!

And happy birthday (soon)!

Gemma Wiseman said...

I did not fully realise that you lived on a boat! I thought you mentioned this before but it didn't really click with me! Incredible!

Anonymous said...

How long did you have to pose for that first pic?

Wil Harrison.com

Dina said...

You take this holiday seriously. Nice.
Your lifelong love affair with Hawaii sounds like mine with Israel.

Hey girl, you be careful on that sea kayak, yes?

Daryl said...

Love the shell ginger plant, its lovely ... paddle safely and I look forward to the evening pix you took

Anonymous said...

Ah, Josephine Baker-- one of a kind-- wasn't she?

I have such a weakness for tropical flowers-- the ginger is gorgeous.

You always post the most wonderful quotes.

Have a great weekend Cloudia!

gigi-hawaii said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, CLOUDIA! AND MANY MORE TO COME!

Teresa said...

Hi Cloudia,

Have a great paddle. I loved the pictures of the shell ginger and the Bette Midler quote.

Teresa

Deborah Godin said...

Have fun paddling and parading, m'dear!!

Anonymous said...

Yo Cloudia -- HAPPY, HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Go play in the sand and try out the "little" boat. Nurse says to wear your lifejacket, okay? You DO know how to swim, don't you? Say "hi" to the fishies. Bet Pirate Kitty doesn't want to cruise on a kayak... LOVE the shell ginger...didn't know it came that way. DrumMajor

Feisty Crone said...

I bet the pictures will be awesome. And Happy Birthday (soon).

Cloudia said...

Sandy- Thanks dear.

Gemma Greyscale: There are posts about this, search: "boat" on my blog if you have the time - a few good stories AND a slide show!

Wil- I think I love you ;-)

Dina: Yes, we both love beleagured yet beautiful places! Don't worry, both will blossom, and I won't paddle out of the harbor (yet).

Daryl; Thanks **

Tricia: YOU R 1 of a kind!

GiGi: Tee Hee!

Teresa; and I love your love story with the prince!

Deborah: Paddling & parading! COOL.

Drum Major: Happy Dear ;-)

Gran: Dear, Gran ;-)
Have I been TOO shameless about my birthday?
30 again!

Charles Gramlich said...

I feel like I'm on a boat today. the world is rocking anyway.

Yeti said...

Hey Cloudia.. I didn't know you lived on a boat? Is that you standing in front of the statue?

Anonymous said...

aloha!

Kay said...

You always have such incredible photos, Cloudia. The fun thing is, I haven't seen a lot of the places you're showing. :-) Just shows you I need to get over to your side of the island more.

magiceye said...

have a great super time!!

Have started a new meme Pet Pride where you can display your or your friends' pets every week beginning every Sunday! Do join in and share your pet pride with the world!

namaste /\
aloha!

Barbara Martin said...

Cloudia, do whatever will thrill you on your birthday. All the best.

DeniseinVA said...

I look forward to seeing those kayak pictures one of these days and I love the fact that you live on a boat. Your photos are always a joy to behold.